Saturday, February 5, 2011

The World of Architectural Wonders



Before I start, let me retain something. In 1999, during a visit to Thrissur, a small town in Kerala, I happened to visit the newly opened City Center. It was the biggest shopping complex I had ever seen and I was impressed! Three years later, my concept of the biggest shopping complex changed as I visited the Casablanca in Pondicherry.  Later, after three years the shopping malls in Bangalore presented me with a wide variety of shopping experience. Then I came to Riyadh, where a mall hopping itself would take a day from you. Lastly it is my chance to visit two of the largest shopping malls that I’ve ever visited-Emirates Mall and Dubai Mall.

It took us only five minutes’ walk from our hosts’ house to the Emirates Mall. We had earlier drove around the mall and even wondered about its vastness.  On Saturday, we’d even taken a short cut to the opposite side through the parking area.

We and my cousin had agreed to meet in front of the famous ski world in the mall. As we walked towards the ski world, I started feeling out of crowd. All the people who passed us looked extremely young and elegantly dressed in latest fashion. I felt so old in my jeans and casual T-shirt. Well, this is the mall that houses the famous fashion stores around the world. So, what else should I expect?

Skii Dubai
We lingered near the ski World for a few minutes. We were in double mind as to enter the area. Our dilemma got solved by an assistant who mentioned that children under three years are not allowed inside. So, in excuse for little Shreya, we came out of the place.

We started loitering around the mall. It was such a treat for me to chit chat carelessly and to walk without ‘Abhaya,’ after a long time. We passed many fashion stores with exclusive window shopping. While reaching near the bookstore ‘Borders,’ we saw the board “Sales.” Many books were being sold out for just 10AED and soon we had our share too.

Our legs started failing us at this point. A hot cup of coffee soon relieved us. We had spent almost four hours in the mall and decided to return. Then, Sreejith pointed out something to me. The first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is getting released after two days. I won’t be here on that day. I felt a sting-This time I’ll miss it! I who always made such a hype on harry Potter releases won’t be there to watch it in the first week. Anyway, I’ll be back in Bangalore by time to watch it in my favorite PVR.

From Emirates mall, we headed to the famous Jumeirah Walk. The sun was setting down as we reached there. As our car passed along the long walk, I tried to look at the people who relax out there. There are families getting together; solitary persons with a book, cigarette or drink; two friends chatting animatedly; a group with people in each of their worlds; couples exchanging romantic moments; Kids' groups... So many faces of life in a single location!

No comments:

Post a Comment