Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Romantic Stroll at Thiruvannamalai

Continues From The Dance Of Peacocks

The big wedding was over with a lot of living experiences. After three months of honeymoon siesta, we’d started our real life. It was then that I remembered of my promise to visit Thiruvannamalai after my marriage.
I and Sreejith accompanied with my friends started our journey on a Friday afternoon. The journey seemed more comfortable in the car. After five hours of drive, we reached Thiruvannamalai around 8p.m. Since we were a gang with the couple, our accommodation was allotted outside the Ashramam, but in a comfortable way.

This is a place where I discovered some other aspects of Sreejith. I always considered him aloof to spiritual matters. However, he was the first to wake up in the morning to get ready to go to Arunachaleswara temple. We reached the temple for the early Darshan itself.  

During this visit to Arunachaleswara temple, my mind somehow remained blank without any prayers.

On Our Way To Skandashramam
As we reached back to the Ashramam, the breakfast had started. After a short time spends at the Ashramam, we started to Skandashramam. The trip seemed more like a picnic as we stopped for photos, chit chat etc.
As we reached Skandashramam, I retreated to the shade of mango tree rather than entering the shrine. I don’t know how much time I spent in contemplation there! When I went inside to see what others were doing, I saw Sreejith in deep meditation in front of the shrine. (At first, I thought that he is dozing off)  Reluctant to wake them up, I came back to my retreat.

Soon, all of us continued our way down to Virupaksha cave. The path was dirtier than early owing to the increase in number of devotees during Karthikai deepam. No great miracles happened at this time and we enjoyed our journey watching small flowers, insects and butterflies.

After lunch at the Ashramam, we came back to the room for a nap. However I and Sreejith woke up early and went to the small vendors. Priya, Poonam and Anurupa were not interested in the Vadas and Bhajjis sold out by these vendors. I and Sreejith savored more than what we consume! The hot Bhajjis and Vadas sold for one rupee or 50 paise felt so long lasting on our taste buds.

Giri Pradakshinam was indeed different this time. For me, it was indeed a romantic stroll along with Sreejith. It was a carefree and tension free evening devoid of intriguing phone calls! He stopped in between to get prasadams from Anna Dana (Giving food for free for God’s sake) and to enjoy whatever interested him on the way.

Karthikai Deepam at Thiruvannamalai
Soon darkness started falling onto the air. The Karthikai deepam was shining so bright on the abode of Arunachaleswara.  Unlike the controversial Makara Jyothi, this is indeed lit by human beings to spread the benevolence of Arunachaleswara to the world. 

We had intended to take a short road around the hill and reached the temple earlier than usual. We were planning to start as early as possible on the next day.   As I bowed in front of the temple, I prayed
                  
  I don’t know when you call me again. But be with me always!

Afterword: I still wonder about one fact-I was in Pondicherry for three years and never heard about this place! My guide for M.Phil was an ardent devotee of Remana Maharshi and given up all her worldly comforts for his love. Then also, I was in darkness about this place! The time had come for my call only at the destined moment.

Later, while in labor, I was chanting ‘Krishna’. But the image that flashed behind my closed eyelids was that of Arunachaleswara. Is it an implication that the power that we call by different names is one and the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment