Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Divine Voice of ‘Aum...’

The ashramites were performing Remana’s Abhishekam in its full glory as we reached the Ashramam.  The Vedic mantras and Bhajans seemed to purify the crystal clean air. Soon after the rituals, we were invited to have the Ashramam breakfast. The hot Idlies and Sambar were served on the dried and sewn leaves. As I tasted the delicious breakfast, I wondered whether the so called nectar in heaven comes in the form of Idlies and Sambar too!

After breakfast, we decided to go to Skandashramam. We climbed the Arunachaleswara, where in each stone one can find divinity. The hill itself is believed to be Lord Shiva. The soft breeze eased out the initial breathlessness that I usually feel while trekking.  On the way, a majestic view of Arunachaleswara temple revived our spirits.  The wilderness made the path cool, even amidst the scorching summer.
(At the entrance of Skandashramam)

 A group of monkeys jumped around the peaceful outskirts of Skandashramam. As we neared the Skandashramam, we heard the beautiful Bhajans that aptly suited to the ambience. However I didn’t get the mood to meditate inside the shrine. I came out and waited under the mango tree and watched the sun rays sweeping through its foliage. That’s then; I heard the murmur of a natural spring next to the cave of Ashramam. I was definitely feeling thirsty and the refreshing and cool water passed a new energy to me.

After the visit to Skandashramam, we took a downward road to the Virupaksha cave. It was there the Saint Virupaksha Deva and later Ramana Maharshi lived in meditation.  Ramana Maharshi had written his early works like Self-Inquiry and Who am I? while meditating in this cave. Naturally for his followers, the cave provided a place for deep meditation.

(One the way to Virupaksha Cave)
The cave was naturally cool inside. However the fumes of incense sticks and the claustrophobia, gradually took me outside. I came out and sat on the small wall leaning on to a Neem tree. All the visitors apart from us had left the place. I almost felt sure that my spiritual inquest to this place had become futile.

The sun was getting hot! Anurupa came out of the cave and sat on the other end of the wall.  After some time Priya came out and sat next to me. We didn’t speak anything and wandered in our own contemplations. We heard Poonam chanting the divine mantra of ‘Aum’ inside the cave.  I and Priya smiled at each other! Surely, the mantra has some power to invigorate our soul.

Soon Poonam came out of the cave. We treaded through the path where the beauty of Arunachaleswara was getting lost! People have used the place for their nature’s calls! Poonam must have fed up with the path and she started chanting ‘Allah’! Though I don’t abhor Islam, I somehow felt that chanting unfit for this situation!
  If there are some people around, they might beat you up for chanting ‘Allah’ in temple premises.  Why don’t you chant ‘Aum’ as you did at Virupaksha cave?
Poonam was in a good mood and didn’t take offense at my prattle. She laughed,
Take it easy! By the way I didn’t chant ‘Aum’ at Virupaksha cave. I was meditating.
I and Priya just stared at each other. We had definitely heard the chanting. Now, Anurupa who was sitting with us across the yard and at the door of Virupaksha cave denied that she had heard the chanting. There was not a single person near the Ashramam. Then whose chanting did we hear? Poonam consoled us,
My master had once told, ‘When your mind is calm and free of outward thoughts you can hear the voice that calls for you.’
This incident still remains as a mystery for me. If the voice had definitely called out for us, then I should think- ‘Who am I?’
           
    Afterword: Being a resident of Riyadh, now I realize an interesting relation between ‘Allah’ and ‘Aum’. My  Yoga teacher had taught me that ‘Aum’ has to be chanted in three parts concentrating on out three body areas. Interestingly, the priests in the neighboring mosques also recite ‘Allah’ in the same tone. After repeating ‘Allah’ in their style, I realized that it gives the same rejuvenating feeling as ‘Aum.’
   

No comments:

Post a Comment